10 CE Credits/Hours - Online Course - $99.00
Co-developed by Claire Nana, M.S. LMFT and Sage de Beixedon Breslin, Ph.D.
This course is also offered as part of a Coaching & Psychotherapy Certificate Program for 24 CE Credits.
This course is not eligible for NBCC credit.
This course includes materials consisting of:
Transcripts are available for ALL MP3s in format.Order This Course Now
General Course Description
Life coaching has grown quite dramatically in popularity in the last couple of decades. Life coaching focuses on assisting people with many aspects of their lives and can include concerns such as career change; life transitions, such as children leaving home; moving, separating or getting married; pending decisions such as starting a business or returning to school; and desired changes such as reducing debt, losing weight, or improving communication. The exciting part for life coaches is these are the issues that clients most often seek treatment for! And different from traditional therapy, the life coach will first draw out the client's unique skills and then effectively harness them to achieve the client's goals. In this way, the life coach can provide the client with not only a customized service, but also a way to move past obstacles and achieve goals in the future. Life coaching can be an effective tool that moves the client from simply surviving or coping into a realm of thriving.
This is an introductory course on life coaching that defines coaching and distinguishes it from the practice of psychotherapy. In this course, 8 documents are presented. The first interview introduces the use of life coaching in the psychotherapy setting. Section two addresses applied skills the life coach will use to help the client begin to change, along with how to maintain the progress made in each area of the life coaching course. Lastly, the course reviews the termination process which follows a successful life coaching experience. Resources, references and updates are provided in a separate document.
Disclaimer: This course is purely educational and does not intend to serve as a license (or permission) to mental health professionals to prescribe or practice any of the approaches discussed in this course unless they fall within the scope of practice of your profession. Check with your licensing board about the scope of practice of your profession to make sure you practice within that scope.
This course will teach psychotherapists to:
1. Describe the use of life coaching and the population it is appropriate for.
2. List the assessment tools and techniques used in the coaching process.
3. Identify the elements that can promote and/or enhance change.
4. Review the various assessment tools used to determine client functioning on a global scale.
5. Promote client autonomy in the coaching relationship.
6. Educate the client about the emotions of anger, sadness, anxiety, and boredom.
7. Summarize the role of the seven personality styles on behavior; the specific strengths and the challenges of each style.
8. Address and manage the emotions of anger, sadness, anxiety, and boredom.
9. List tools that can be used to promote life balance, nutritional balance, and exercise management.
10. Design a program unique for each personality style to facilitate the achievement of goals.
Section One: Introduction
Section Two: Client Assessment
Section Three: Environment For Change
Section Four: Client Education
Section Five: Applied Skills
Section Six: Maintenance
Section Seven: Termination
References & Resources