7 CE Credits/Hours - Online Course - $69.00
Co-Developed by Sage de Beixedon Breslin, Ph.D., and Ofer Zur, Ph.D.
This course includes materials consisting of:
General Course Description
This is a basic course on schizophrenia. A detailed description of the disease, its etiology, course and symptoms are provided, as is a diagnosis per the DSM-5. The risks for suicidality, as well as the risks and benefits of different treatment options, are reviewed and alternative views of Schizophrenia are also proffered. A critique of this diagnosis and treatments currently in use is presented.
This beginning-intermediate level course consists of six sections reviewing the diagnosis and treatment for schizophrenia and detailing the critique of accepted and common ways to diagnose and treat schizophrenia. The first set of articles and audiotaped interview review the history, diagnosis, etiology and suicide risk associated with schizophrenia. The next set of articles summarizes the pharmaceutical interventions that are available and articulates some of the most common adverse side effects of antipsychotic medications. The next set of articles presents non-pharmaceutical treatment options for schizophrenia. These articles are followed by a set of articles, which present dissenting, alternatives and critical opinions about the diagnosis and treatment of schizophrenia. The final set of articles summarizes terms, updates and resources for clients and therapists.
This course will teach psychotherapists to:
1. Define schizophrenia and describe symptoms generally associated with it.
2. Outline the basic etiology of schizophrenia.
3. Note the risk for suicidality in clients with schizophrenia.
4. Summarize the methods for limiting suicidal risk in clients with schizophrenia.
5. Identify the classic and contemporary treatments for schizophrenia.
6. Discuss alternative views and schizophrenia and critique current ideas and interventions.
7. Compare and contrast pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical interventions.
Defining the Disease
Pharmaceutical Treatment of the Disease
Critical Analysis of Available Treatments
Resources and Updates